Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lousy weeks


The last few weeks have been a real challenge for me exercise-wise. We have had people over at our place that we had to take care of, then we have been moving around a lot, in some places where exercising is not the easiest of things, and now my ill-fitting shoes are giving me shin splints. So I have missed my morning exercise 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Which brings it to 4 days with no exercise in eight weeks. Knowing that most days for the last month I have been running in the morning and swimming in the afternoon. And that I can now swim 770m of free style in one go (further than the actual race !), when I could hardly swim freestyle altogether a few weeks ago. I am quite happy with it. 

The last 2 weeks in Thailand have been the hotest I have seen in that country. Running at 8am is already too late because the temperature is already over 30 degrees... Trying to run at night is impossible bacause it starts cooling down around... 2am. I still managed to go running everyday, even in Koh Tao that is so damn hilly... Then we went to Bangkok where running was not so much fun (because there is a lot of traffic around the area where we stay), so after one day of running I went swimming instead. Then we flew to Egypt and arrived yesterday morning in Cairo. We landed at 6am after a sleepless night on the plane, so we took a nap instead of going running, which was great... We were very excited at the idea of running the next day though because here in the morning it is about 20 degrees, it is soo nice ! But in the end we were a bit disappointed because in the area where we stay, there is not a single park or green area. It is all about crazy traffic, black smokes and loud horns... We did manage to run a short 20 minutes along the Nile river but we had to give up because my shins were really sore. I can’t wait to get to France to be able to walk to a running shoes shop and talk to a sellsman who will know what he is talking about. I bought my last pair of sneakers in Bangkok in a big sport store, but I couldn’t get any advice from these guys other than “this one is discount” or “this one is blue”. So I just bought a pair that I thought were fitting. As soon as I started running with them, my soles started to hurt. And now my shins. But anyway, we found a little park not so far from where we stay so we’ll go for a short run, and then we also found a nice hotel with a swimming pool with view on the pyramids... So we’ll go for a quick swim before soaking in some more culture... The Man came up with the crazy idea to run around the pyramids. I don’t think so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment